There is no doubt that embracing the cloud is a cost-effective business solution. The problem is that some businesses that have not made this journey worry that it is too complex. They worry that the migration may give rise to security breaches, data loss and downtime. However, this does not have to be the case. The benefits of cloud based computing far outweighs the risks – that is if you have planned your migration strategy wisely. With that in mind, here are some tips for developing a cloud migration strategy that will be well worth the effort.
- Create a cloud migration checklist: As we said, there are some challenges that come along with migrating to the cloud. The first thing you need to do is to learn what those risks are and how to overcome them. For example, most businesses understand that downtime can be very damaging to their bottom line. Thus, you should discuss this issue with the provider you are considering.
- Establish a clear leader: Assign some person or persons to oversee the task. The chosen person should then outline the exact process involved and be sure that everyone who is in involved in the migration understands their duties.
- Choose which cloud solution you will use: There are basically three cloud solutions – public, hybrid, private. Public cloud provides service and infrastructure off-site through the Internet. However, the problem with this kind of shared service is that security breaches can sometimes occur. Private cloud provides greater security than public cloud services. It is appropriate for companies that have stringent security requirements. Finally, hybrid services – as the name implies – are a combination of the first two options.
- Choose a cloud hosting company: There are many companies out there so choosing the right provider can be challenging. You should prepare a list of issues that you wish to discuss with your candidates. One of the best things about Tech Commandos is that we have US based customer support. Our professionals can address any concerns you may have and walk you and your IT team through the migration process.
- Communicate with your employees: Once you have begun the process of migrating to the cloud, be prepared to educate employees on what the transition will mean for them and for your business.
- Look out for surprise fees. Many cloud hosting fees charge data usage and bursting fees. These fees can add up quickly to hundreds and thousands of dollars per month.
In short, a well thought out migration checklist is the foundation of a success for businesses that wish to make the change over to the cloud. We too can help you make the transition and explain to you all that it involves. We can explain the resources that are available with cloud desktop hosting and ACT! Cloud Hosting. So, choose wisely.